I'll Miss J.J. Redick

Friday

I think I’m in the majority when I say that I’ve been waiting for this day for four years. Now that it’s here, I have no idea what to do with myself.

The truth is now that J.J. Redick’s college career has come to an end, we have no one to really and truly hate. Sure there’s always going to be those players that you dislike, but it’s going to be hard to replace Redick hate. He’s on that Barry Bonds level, only he never cheated or disgraced his sport. That might make this hate worse.

Somehow, someway, I think I’m going to miss him.

I’ll miss how J.J. made pulling up for three while on a four on one fast break an example of fundamental execution. If anyone else does it, they get a “that’s what’s wrong with today’s game” from the announcers.

I’ll miss the incessant whining to officials. Few players have ever cried the way did.

I’ll miss how everyone accused the referees of cheating for him. If he wasn’t a 90 percent free-throw shooter, I don’t think anyone would care.

I’ll miss imagining what he said to the other players right after the mini-altercations he seemed to always get into. You know, right when someone on television was calling him a classy guy for taking the higher road.

I’ll miss that cocky, arrogant, what I’d give to sucker punch face of his.

I’ll miss swearing to god he gets that attitude from his mother because I hate seeing her face on television.

I’ll especially miss him when Duke loses. Whenever that happened, you could always count on a 4 for 18 from Redick.

I’ll miss the “I hate J.J. Redick” conversation that randomly comes up in July on the beach with your friends.

I’ll miss hearing Dick Vitale mention his name 23 times during a game between two west coast teams.

I’ll miss the heckling. I only vaguely remember Christian Laettner but there is no way he got it from the fans the way Redick did.

I’ll miss Redick coming off a screen and throwing up 25 footers. Never has an offense been completely designed to the point where it lived and died off such a low percentage shot.

I’ll miss knowing he was going to choke against North Carolina.

I’ll miss knowing that despite having his Facebook filled with death threats, he was going to torch Maryland.

When it comes down to it, we all have a Redick memory. The more you hated him, the more you have. All I can say is Josh McRoberts has some huge shoes to fill.

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP